Monday, September 29, 2014

Dreaming about Running

I ran a half marathon on Saturday.

13.1 miles on a hilly course. It was pretty slow, the slowest time I had, in fact, but based on my pace in training, I was expecting to be slow.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

But I can't really pout about it for too long. I *ran* 13.1 miles on Saturday. I am happy and thrilled and very please that I was able to do that at all.

There was a time when a half marathon was an impossible task to me. It's an impossible task still to a lot of people.

Now I just shrug at the things.

That's pretty damn amazing.

Running, surprisingly enough, also helped me with my insomnia. I keep reading what sleeping was like in posts two years ago. I was trying *everything*: pills, meditation, white noise. Whatever I could to get better sleep.

Then, two weeks after my last post, I ran a half marathon after stressing and not sleeping for two straight nights. 13.1 miles on no sleep!

I did that. I achieved that. Why the hell was I stressing about it? Why stress about it at all?

And, just like that, I stopped worrying and no more insomnia.

I still have rough nights but it's nothing like the way it use to be. In fact, last Friday night, I was nervous because I haven't been training as well as I should and my dinner wasn't as runner-friendly as it should be. I was a little worried I'd finally get a sleepless night after two years.

Instead, I woke up swearing at the alarm because it was Saturday and 'why am I not sleeping in???!...oh, right.'

Next half marathon is in less than two weeks....

No comments: