Friday, October 10, 2014

I really want my long term goals to be short term; case in point...

I know I want to work on Nanowrimo this year (instead of next year as planned), and I'm very tempted to do it. I have a story in mind with strong characters and an idea for an interesting plot.

The problem with doing it this year is twofold; one, I still haven't worked at and practiced enough to feel confidant that I will be able to write 50,000 words in one month. I've gotten better in the past year. It's the whole fact that I'm writing more than I have in the past that I want to do it. But I'm not sure I'm at *50K* better. And two, I have other things in mind to do during the month of November. Study for CPA, exercise more, finish up on stuff at work.

I haven't been motivated to study for the CPA so that's a monstrous task that will become even harder if I add 'write a gazillion words a day' to the list.

But then, an off-handed comment from a co-worker got me thinking. "Why aren't you studying for AUD?" I was planning to study for FAR again because that was the Mount Everest to this CPA mountain and I wanted to get that done and over. Except if I wasn't studying at all, then...yeah, what's the point?

So, AUD is still fresh in my mind and one of the easier sections of the CPA exam. I'd rather study for that during the holiday season than FAR *and* that may still allow me time for Nanowrimo this year.

If I do try Nanowrimo this year, I will definitely wait until I complete the first week until I involve myself with writing groups. No starts and stops this time around.

...This may work. I just have to get committed.

No comments: