Wednesday, November 26, 2008

$25 Challenge - What I Learned

1. It's not very difficult to keep on a fugal food budget if it ever became necessary.

I even managed to stick under the allotted budget. But I say that as someone who has the access and ability to go to a discount grocery store. There are some people who don't have access to a car or do not live close to a store so that they can keep on a sound and healthy budget.



2. Even if it's possible to have a $25 budget, it's not something I would what to do.

I was never really starving during this whole week. I was a little hungry at the beginning, but that was more because there was a dramatic cut in my portions. My biggest problem was the lack of quality selection. After awhile, a person can get quite sick of noodles.



3. Convenience can and will supersede healthy.

I had a lot of starch and carbs in my diet (bread, noodles, potatoes, etc). This is usually what my diet consist of before the week but a least I also had the option of grabbing a quick salad or fresh fruit if I was in the mood.



4. Tools of the trade are important.

I need to invest in a better spatula. While I don't think melted bits of plastic from a cheap spatula will kill me, I also don't think it's a part of a healthy, well-balanced diet.



5. Coffee is the nectar from the Gods.

I'm not addicted!.... (right) I just missed my coffee.



6. Lack of sugar will indeed drop the weight.

I've had more than one person tell me that they lost a ton of weight once they cut down on the sugar. This proved true to me when the only sweets I had was a brownie this past week. I managed to lose a total of 4 pounds during that short period of time. I'm not sure if this will change anything in the future since I do have a huge sweet tooth. We will have to see.

7. Food is a very important part of social interaction.

Until I had to stop doing it, I didn't realize just how much I socialized with people while munching on a bag of popcorn or dining out for dinner or enjoying snacks during a party. People are very willing to offer food in exchange for interaction and I had to turn down offered food so many times this past week.

No comments: